Welcome to episode 47 of the Grace Cafe Podcast. Let’s talk about spiritual abuse. Spiritual abuse leaves no physical marks. It’s a silent abuse that usually happens behind closed doors or in settings where no one else sees it occurring, or only the select few leaders witness it but don’t see it for what it is, spiritual abuse. Spiritual abuse makes its victims think there is something wrong with them when in reality, there is something wrong with the abuser. But the abuser is skilled at spinning a situation in such a way that paints them as the victim and the true victim as a troublemaker not to be believed. Let’s talk about it.
Important links we mention in the episode:
- My Valentine’s Day Performance Massacre
- Abuse of Faith, 20 Years, 700 Victims in the Southern Baptist Church (The Houston Chronicle, Part 1)
- Offend, Then Repeat: Southern Baptist churches hired dozens of leaders previously accused of sex offenses (The Houston Chronicle, Part 2)
- Harvest Bible Chapel and James MacDonald
- Leading Southern Baptist leader apologizes for supporting C. J. Mahaney, accused of helping conceal sexual abuse in his former church. (The Houston Chronicle)
Need help? Here’s some good news:
- GRACE: Empowering Christian communities to recognize, prevent, and respond to abuse. (Boz Tchividjian)
-Thanks for listening. If you like the Grace Cafe Podcast, share it with someone. Give us a review in iTunes (Apple Podcasts) or on your iPhone app.